If you’re looking for a great topping for your Matzo Crackers this Halloween but want to keep it gluten free, this spicy chutney is a great option. It tastes fantastic with cheese, but also works as a delicious dip.
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 100g of shredded ginger
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 15 cardamom pods, bashed open
- 2 long cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1kg of pumpkin flesh, cut into sugar-cube size pieces
- 500kg of bramley apples, cut into sugar-cube size pieces
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 500g light soft brown sugar
- 300ml cider vinegar
Heat the oil in a large pan, then gently fry the onions, ginger, chilli, cardamom, cinnamon, mustard and cumin seeds together for five minutes.
Stir in the pumpkin, apples, onions and garlic, cooking together for a further 10-15 minutes until the flesh is soft.
Add in the turmeric and brown sugar, then let it simmer for around five minutes, then pour in the vinegar and salt, before bringing back to the simmer.
Continue to cook, stirring the chutney regularly, for about 30 minutes. You should notice by this point that the apple is soft enough to provide a base for the chutney, while the pumpkin is tender and slightly candied.