Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 people
A warming, filling meal in itself that you can freeze, this is a healthy meal that actually benefits from being prepared the day before you serve it as it gives the flavours time to infuse and strengthen.
You may find kosher lamb stock difficult to find, in which case beef stock gives the soup a delicious flavour. The meatballs are cooked in the soup so make sure it is simmering before you add them to the pot to ensure they don’t fall apart.
INGREDIENTS – MEAT BALLS
- 450g lamb mince
- 2 teaspoons dried cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Rakusen’s Fine Matzo Meal
INGREDIENTS – SOUP
- 2 onions – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tins 400g chick peas – drained
- 4 carrots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tin 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres (3.5 pints) beef stock
- 8 Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh coriander to garnish
To make the meatballs, put all the ingredients together in a food processor and combine. Remove the blade and, with wet hands, make little balls the size of a large olive.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onions, garlic and carrots for five minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, chickpeas and season well. Bring to the boil and reduce the temperature down to simmering. Add the meatballs and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
To serve the stylish way: Ladle out the soup into large bowls with the meatballs and garnish with sprigs of fresh coriander. Serve with chunky bread.
Recipe specially created by:
Denise Phillips, professional chef and cookery writer