Rakusen’s Matzo Crackers make a perfect base for brushetta and the variation of toppings are endless – so really, you can let your imagination run away with you and come up with something creative!
However, if you are looking for something simple and delicious, this red pepper and tomato topping is a solid option – but it is best prepared in advance to prevent the crackers going soggy.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 people
- 12 Rakusen’s Matzo Crackers
- 3 red peppers – cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil – roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes – roughly chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes – roughly chopped
- Large bunch of fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and roughly chopped
- 50g pine nuts
- 50ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat the grill to its highest setting and place the peppers on a large baking tray. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Cook until the skins are black and blistered. Remove and transfer to a dish and immediately cover with cling film. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
To make the basil sauce, place the garlic, pine nuts and basil in a food processor. Whizz until smooth and slowly add the olive oil to produce a delicious green paste. Discard the skins from the peppers and roughly chop the flesh. Stir in the basil, cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
Spread the basil dressing on the base of the matzo crackers and top with the red pepper mixture. Serve immediately with a dusting of black pepper.
Recipe specially created by:
Denise Phillips, professional chef and cookery writer